Boys’ volleyball beats Los Altos

Freshman Julian Hong serves a winning set to Los Altos High School during the Vikings’ home match against the Eagles on Friday night in the Peery Family Center. According to Hong, being his first high school volleyball season, he has grown a lot as a player. “I love being a part of this team,” Hong said. “I’ve learned a lot from my teammates, and I’m excited to see where this team goes.” (Photo: Saachi Nagar)

The Palo Alto High School varsity boys’ volleyball team (10-2) edged out the Los Altos High School Eagles (9-3), 3-1, Friday night at home, bringing them up to second place in the DeAnza League.

After winning its most recent game against Wilcox High School and maintaining a four game win-streak, Paly had significant energy going into this game, according to sophomore middle blocker Cal Currier.

“This game was one of the most exciting we have had in a while — everyone was hyped tonight,” Currier said.

Senior Owen Rice echoed Currier’s sentiments by saying how keeping high morale was significant for the game. 

“It separates you as a team when you have that energy throughout the game,” Rice said. “It kind of gets in the other team’s heads.”

The Vikings started strong, winning the first set, using their communication skills to execute successful plays and discard Los Altos’ attacks. This was followed by an impressive rally at the very end of the set that eventually was won by a bump from Currier, ending the set, 28-26.

“I think some of the game’s pros were the communication and the team staying energetic the whole time,” Currier said.

Paly continued to add to its winning streak by conquering the second set as well, with a series of spikes by Rice as well as successful bumps by Currier early in the set.

According to junior setter Calvin Wong, the Vikings looked forward to playing against Los Altos. 

“Los Altos is always great,” Wong said. “We know a lot of the people on the team, so it’s always good competition with them. We always have close games with them, four or five sets all the time.” 

The Vikings continued to maintain the momentum from the earlier sets and shocks Los Altos after an explosive spike from Rice, closing the second set, 23-17.

Los Altos won the third set after hitting errors and failed attack plays by Paly, but the Vikings’ confidence failed to diminish, and Palo Alto took the fourth set to seal the victory. 

According to freshman Arun Tamura, the recovery from the first set was a testament to how far the team has come as a whole.

“Feels great honestly, last time we had a comeback, we played five sets,” Tamura said. “But it feels good to only play four sets this time and wrap up the game as fast as we can.”

The Vikings play next against Homestead 6:45 p.m. Monday in Cupertino.