Paly spring choir concert will feature famous director

Palo Alto High School choir will host the annual Spring Concert featuring the director of the Miami Choral Academy on April 28.

The Friends of Paly Choirs is an affiliated non-profit group that has commissioned the work of composer, conductor and educator Shawn Crouch.

Paly Choir Director Michael Najar is looking forward to the event and working with Crouch.

Choir teacher Michael Najar conducts the Madrigals in their rendition of The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Photo by Paige Esterly.
Choir teacher Michael Najar conducts the Madrigals in their rendition of The Beatles’ “While My Guitar Gently Weeps.” Photo by Paige Esterly.

“The exciting thing about this year is that we have commissioned a new work and a composer of his stature has acknowledged we are worthy of one of his commissions,”  Najar said.

Paly junior and a member of the choir Megan Rohrer is delighted to be working with Crouch.

“I was excited because Shawn Crouch created such a cool piece that nobody has ever performed before,” Rohrer said. “He is such an amazing musician and a good guy.”

Najar was eager to provide his students with this unique opportunity.

“It’s great for the students to see a new line of work come to life and the first time it will ever be heard is next week,” Najar said.

This is not the first time Paly Choir has had the opportunity to commission work.

“We have commissioned work probably 25 years ago, but this is the first time since I have been here,” Najar said.

Rohrer thinks that everyone who comes will get to see a significant show.

“You should expect to see a lively, modern-sounding performance that will keep you on your toes,” Rohrer said.

The concert will take place 4 p.m. Sunday April 28 at Grace Lutheran Church in Palo Alto. According to Najar, the audience can look forward to other works by American Composers including Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms and more.