Viking Variety show canceled this year

The annual Viking Variety Talent Show at Palo Alto High School has been canceled this year due to conflicts in schedule but will make a comeback for next year.

Paly choir director Michael Najar was in charge of organizing the event but had to postpone it until next year.

“I couldn’t put together all the necessary things in time,” Najar said. “It’s terribly sad but with the finals and AP testing, there was such a small window. I just couldn’t do it”.

The Palo Alto Unified School District changed its schedule for their 2012-2013 school year by pushing back finals before winter break and ending the school year earlier than before.

A member of the band The Bad Neighbors and Soul Mitosis, junior Patrick Stormer, thought the cancellation was unfortunate.

“I was kind of disappointed when someone told me it had been cancelled,” Stormer said. “But there was an open mic night later that week so my friends and I still got to perform.”

A possibility that Najar could have given the responsibility to the Associated Student Body at Paly was open for discussion.

“There was a chance that ASB would pick it up, but they couldn’t as well because they were feeling the same time pressure as I did,” Najar said.

Najar has his sights set high for next years talent show.

“I am very confident it will turn out better than ever next year,” Najar said.