Students start spring sports season

Elizabeth Fetter, who graduated last year, prepares for her race at last year’s California Interscholastic Federation Central Coast Section. The Palo Alto High School swim team competed at the 2023 CCS competition and is hoping to do the same this year. Llew Ladomirak is a junior on the swim team and competed last year. “Our team goals this year are to win SCVALs and CCS,” Ladomirak said. (Photo: Evan Chien)

As soccer balls are packed up and basketball shoes are tucked away, the sound of bouncing tennis balls and new track shoes are returning to Palo Alto High School.

Spring season has begun, and with it comes much anticipation from student athletes and coaches. After a year of training and waiting, athletes are pumped to be back.

Based on previous records, sports that are expected to do well include baseball and swimming.  According to Llew Ladomirak, a junior on the swim team, the swim team is looking forward to success this season.

“The season last year was incredibly successful,” Ladomirak said.  “Our guys team won CCS and our girls placed third.  Everyone should look out for us [the swim team], because we have the opportunity to do some pretty impressive things this season, and I’m looking forward to it.”

There is also a lot of excitement across all sports looking toward this spring season.  Junior lacrosse player Savith Gurunathan said his heavy preparation has him feeling ready. 

“I’m looking forward to getting to play with my friends and seeing the off season pay off,” Gurunathan said.  “I’ve worked hard during the off season on both my athletic portion and also my skill portion.”

Badminton tryouts for new players and practice for varsity started in February and resulted in record numbers of freshmen flocking to the gym.

“This team could be really good this year, and also next year,” junior badminton captain Andrew Li said.  “This year we’ve had a lot of freshmen. In the coming years, if we continue to train them, they could really be a powerhouse of a team.”

Matches and events for most sports have begun, but students began to train for competitions many months before.

Lia Cardwell, captain of the track and field throwing team, is looking forward to the new season.  

“The goal of track as a team is not just to win meets, but also to build communities,” Cardwell said. “It’s a place where people can learn more about the sport and really come to love it.”

For interested students, it may not be too late. While some sports are finalizing teams, others may still be looking for eager athletes.

“There’s a lot of opportunities to find your space to participate, so come on out and give it a shot,” Michael Davidson, track and field coach, said. “We’re down to qualify as many athletes as we can, help them, and qualify them to the league section and state championships.”

Students who want to try spring sports next year can check the Paly Athletics website for more information.

For students who prefer to be on the sidelines, they are encouraged to come to games to cheer their peers on. According to ASB Spirit Commissioner Hannah Jensen, ASB is hoping to encourage students to attend spring games. 

“Go to the games, bring your friends, and have fun,” Jensen said.  “Who cares if it’s a school night? You’re in high school, it’s not the end of the world, just have fun.”

As teams prepare for the spring season, see the Paly Athletics website for more information about upcoming sports events.