Spirit shines in Salad Dressing ‘best-dressed’ activity

Seniors Ekaterina Oks and Jack Reed showcase their makeshift togas on the red-carpet during brunch today on the Quad at Palo Alto High School. According to senior Lorenzo Lisi, the class theme of “Caesar” was enjoyable to dress up for. “I really liked the theme for today,” Lisi said. “Tying togas was challenging at first, but I was able to do it pretty quickly.” (Photo: Anna Feng)

Gold-and-white makeshift togas, camping equipment, rugged western attire, athleisure. These were the fashion themes on display today during the Best-Dressed contest on the second day of Palo Alto High School’s annual Spirit Week, with seniors continuing their upward trajectory in points.

Students wore bedsheets, flannel, hiking gear and sports jerseys to match today’s theme of “Salad Dressing,” with freshmen as “Healthy Choice,” sophomores as “Ranch,” juniors as “Green Goddess” and seniors as “Caesar.”

Senior Lorenzo Lisi said he is pleased with the performance of the seniors so far and is excited to see class spirit channeled into students’ outfits.  

“We’re doing really well,” Lisi said. “Everybody’s just coming out of their shells a little bit right now.” 

Decked out in flannel, a bandana and a cowboy hat, sophomore Meryem Orazova said the festivities of the past days have been an improvement compared to last year’s scalebacks

“Spirit Week has been great,” Orazova said. “We’ve really hit it off with a great start. Last year, we had a little bit of a less spirited week just because of the things regarding the Paly-Gunn game and the punishments of that. But so far, every grade has been really united, and it’s been really fun to see.” 

Seniors took first place in today’s best-dressed competition, which Lisi said was expected. 

Sophomores Jose Pinto Saldana and Maeve Williams strut down the red-carpet to showcase their ranch-themed outfits. (Photo: Anna Feng)

“I’m not surprised that we won best dressed,” Lisi said. “Am I happy about it? Yes.”

Wearing colorful tie-dye and daisies, junior Izzy Bienaime said she was also happy with the performance of her class.

“My grade’s doing good,” Bienaime said. “There weren’t a lot of people at the dance practices during the first couple of weeks, but then the turnout was huge at the end.”

Spirit Week will continue with tomorrow’s theme of class colors with freshmen wearing orange, sophomores wearing red, juniors wearing yellow and seniors wearing green.