Preview: Boys’ Lacrosse seeks to sweep Sequoia

Senior+attacker+and+captain+Asher+Friedman+looks+to+score+against+Carlmont+on+April+24th.+According+to+junior+defender+Tyler+Harrison%2C+the+Vikings+know+what+needs+to+be+done+to+leave+with+a+win.+We+have+one+of+our+strongest+opponents+left%2C+Harrison+said.+We+just+have+to+keep+doing+what+weve+been+doing.+

Senior attacker and captain Asher Friedman looks to score against Carlmont on April 24th. According to junior defender Tyler Harrison, the Vikings know what needs to be done to leave with a win. “We have one of our strongest opponents left,” Harrison said. “We just have to keep doing what we’ve been doing.”

Joseph Kessler, Sports Editor

Following two pivotal victories over Carlmont and Mountain View high schools, the Palo Alto High School varsity boys’ lacrosse team (4-3) looks to stay hot approaching its game against the Sequoia Ravens (1-6) 7 p.m. today at home.

The Vikings, who sport a respectable league record and currently sit in third place in the six-team Peninsula Bay division, beat the Ravens earlier this year, 8-7, and look to win the season series. 

According to junior defender Tyler Harrison, Sequoia is a strong opponent, despite the team’s losing record.

“The main goal is always for us to win, especially because our last game against Sequoia was extremely close and had a lot of chirping,” Harrison said.

According to junior midfielder and captain Declan Packer, the Vikings have to stay consistent in all aspects of the game to come out with a victory.

“The big goals we have are to produce on offense and win ground balls. If we do those things, we will win,” Packer said. 

The Vikings will be missing junior midfielder and starter Jeremiah Madrigal, due to a hamstring injury.

According to Madrigal, the team must maintain clear communication throughout the game.

“Communication on defense and controlling the game with possession of the ball helps create better opportunities for shots and allows the defense to rest up,” Madrigal said. 

Packer hopes the team can extend its win streak to secure a spot in the Central Coast Section playoffs. The team made it to the first round of playoffs last year.

“We are going to use the momentum coming into this game and try to keep on doing what we have been doing all week,” Packer said. “The mindset for the last couple games is to win. That’s the only way we can guarantee playoffs.”

The Vikings have two more league games after today’s game. Central Coast Section boys’ lacrosse playoffs begin May 10.