Mindful Mondays: the perfect place to reduce testing season stress

Emily Yun and Saachi Nagar

Paly Wellness is hosting many wellness activities this month, including Mindful Mondays. (Graphic: Paly Wellness)

In order to help students with stress during finals, the Wellness Center is hosting Mindful Mondays during lunch every Monday.

Wellness Outreach Worker Shely Benitah said the goal of Mindful Mondays is to help students develop skills and tools to manage their stress, while also adding some self-care practices to their week. 

“Some weeks we’ll hold a meditation, others a mindful activity like mindful eating,” Benitah said. “We are hoping to introduce different types of mindfulness practices so that students can find what works best for them.”

Benitah said she strongly encourages students to stop by the Wellness Center to participate in these mindful activities, as the benefits are crucial for students during a high-stress period such as finals.

“It’s sometimes hard to prioritize making that time for self-care when you’re overwhelmed with exams and studying, so we really want to show students that even taking just a minute to pause and take a few deep breaths can really help center them,” Benitah said.

Even beyond finals, Benitah said students should continue to practice mindfulness and make it a part of their daily routine. Mindfulness has a list of physical, mental, and emotional benefits that are seemingly endless, including reduced stress, emotional balance, and increased memory and creativity.

“High school can be equally exciting and stressful,” Benitah said. “One helpful way to manage the ups and downs is by having a self-care practice — by incorporating behaviors that help you feel refreshed, re-energized and rested. These practices help you manage the daily stresses in your life — from academic pressure, interpersonal relationships and uncertain future plans.”

More information about Mindful Mondays and other Wellness Center resources can be found here.