Concert to feature piece by Grammy-winning alumnus

Back to Article
Back to Article

A poster for the Paly Choirs’ fall concert, “Sweet Sounds of Nature,” hangs in the student center on Thursday. The concert will feature all levels of Paly choir, as well as the song “Hope is a thing with feathers” by Christopher Tin, a Paly alumnus and Grammy award winner. “It should be a great concert and we’re hoping to see a lot of people there,” Madrigal singer and Paly senior Jessica Weiss said.

Benjamin Huang, Arts and Entertainment Editor

A poster for the Paly Choirs’ fall concert, “Sweet Sounds of Nature,” hangs in the Student Center on Thursday. The concert will feature the song “Hope is a thing with feathers” by Christopher Tin, a Paly alumnus and Grammy award winner. “It should be a great concert, and we’re hoping to see a lot of people there,” Madrigal singer and Paly senior Jessica Weiss said. Photo: Benjamin Huang

The Palo Alto High School Performing Arts Center will be filled with the melodies of orchestra and singing voices during the Paly Choirs’ fall concert, “Sweet Sounds of Nature,” on Sunday.

The concert will feature the Paly Concert Choir, Festival Singers, Madrigal Singers, Spectrum Singers, Premier Choir and Viking Chorus.  

According to the Paly Choir website, the program includes “Water Night” by Eric Whitacre, “El Grillo” by Josquin des Prez and “I Know a Bird” by Emma Lou Diner.

The concert’s natural theme is inspired by one of its songs, “Hope is a thing with feathers,” which is an adaptation of Emily Dickinson’s poem “‘Hope’ is the thing with feathers,” said Madrigal singer and Paly senior Jessica Weiss.

“It’s really quite lovely; it’s that piece’s debut,” Weiss said. “We did sing it at the centennial [Paly’s centennial celebration], but this is its official debut. We’re all very excited because of the nature feeling, with the birds and feathers.”

The song was composed by Christopher Tin, a Paly alumnus who won a Grammy award in the Best Arrangement, Instruments, and Vocals category for his choral piece, “Baba Yetu,” in 2011.

According to Weiss, the fall concert serves as a kickoff for the rest of the season.

“It’s a way to showcase our new talent and everyone we’ve brought in,” Weiss said. “Our a capella groups will also be performing, all of the ensembles will perform, and it’s just sort of like a fun, fresh introductory concert.”

Madrigal singer and Paly senior Brian Ho said that success in recent rehearsals promises a good performance on Sunday.

“Our madrigals are spot on,” Ho said. “I think our concert choir is also very spot on. Our a capella people are also going to be performing there,” Ho said. 

Tickets can be purchased on the Paly Choir website.