Cross Country students eager to participate in the Moonlight Run and Walk

The Moonlight Run 5K will follow this route for the second straight year, with each number marking the mile count. Photo: mapmyrun

As October rolls around, the annual Palo Alto Weekly Moonlight Run and Walk rolls around as well.

The event will take place at 7:00 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6th, at the Palo Alto Baylands. Participants will have the opportunity to run in the: the 5k Walk, the 5k Run or the 10k run. It costs $40 to register, and has a $10 discount for youth ages 6-17, and children under 6 are free with parent registration.

All the funds from the Moonlight Run and Walk will benefit local nonprofits that service families and children in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties, according to paloaltoonline.com.

The City of Palo Alto will put on the event for the 33rd year in a row, and is looking to expand their participant numbers this year, according to Palo Alto Online’s Marketing and Creative Director Shannon Corey.

“Last year we had about 2000 participants,” Corey said. “We hope for more this year.”

The event will have live music by Palo Alto’s School of Rock, a climbing wall for kids and food from local restaurants.

Last year, the Moonlight Run debuted a new course for the 5K run, which went through the Palo Alto Baylands and will be trekked once again this year.

Each year, Palo Alto High School students from the cross country and register for the run as a fun bonding experience.

Junior Zoe Sid is looking forwards to participating in the moonlight run for the second consecutive year, and hopes to improve her previous time, as well as bond with her teammates.

“I’ve been running really hard this year in cross country, over the summer and the past few weeks, so I’m really looking forward to seeing improvement from my time last year,” Sid said. “Last year, we [cross country team] all got together and some of us wore our uniforms. We did our cheer that we do at meets and got each other really fired up to run.”

Kasra Orumchian, Author