ASB premieres Throwback Dance

Students will soon gather to hear the songs of their middle school days such as Beyoncé’s “Halo” and Taio Cruz’s “Dynamite” at the second Palo Alto High School dance of the 2016-17 school year. Associated Student Body is putting on a “throwback”-themed dance from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 24 at the Mitchell Park Community Center.

According to Social Commissioner senior Isabel Black, the “throwback” theme will be focused on middle school music and trends.

“We [ASB officers] decided it would be super fun to throw it back to our middle school days,” Black said. “We got the idea for a throwback dance when we were reminiscing on middle school dances and how good the music was.”

Students should dress as they might have in middle school, according to Black.

“Dress is casual, so feel free to bring out your Abercrombie and silly bands,” Black said.

Sophomore Vivian Feng says the throwback dance is appealing for underclassmen.

“It’s a great idea to have another dance,” Feng said. “Since homecoming was with Gunn [High School] and the only other dance is prom, I really support and appreciate that ASB decided to plan another dance. I think that it’ll be particularly popular among underclassmen since we can’t attend prom.”

Senior Christian Rider hopes to bring back his middle school dance moves in February at the throwback dance.

“I remember back at the JLS [Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School] dances I use to cut a little rug because of the great song selection, so I’ll be happy to be able to do that again,” Rider said.

Students can request any song they would like played at the dance here: https://docs.google.com/a/pausd.us/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelN5wcHHmAHsYfPbk7lCWzx15TCMhMsevdmv6hQByJIfZZTA/viewform.