Social Justice Seminar to be held on Thursday

Aisha Chabane and Daniella Maydan

The Social Justice Pathway will be hosting its first student-run Social Justice Seminar in the Media Arts Center on April 28, during 4th and 6th period.

Members of SJP, a three-year program centered around helping the community and shedding light on local social justice issues through an experimental curriculum, hope that the seminar will educate the Paly community about social justice issues such as microaggressions, as well as about using social justice in education, according to Junior Social Justice Student Yotam Ponte.

“The Social Justice Symposium is a conference with a number of guest speakers designed to educate the Paly population about social justice issues and matters,” Ponte said. “Among these people are psychologists, social scientists, and parents of SJP students that are involved in social justice matters or have experienced things such as microaggressions.”

According to junior Social Justice student Nadia Leinhos, the event will focus on the subject of empathy.

“We’re focusing on one of the most important topics we’ve explored in the pathway, and that’s the idea of empathy,” Leinhos said.

Along with guest speakers, students will be led in student organized empathy exercises and lunch and refreshments will be served to attending students, according to Ponte.

Junior Social Justice student Molly Weitzman is excited about the event and hopes that students will make an effort to attend.

“I personally am very excited about our event and I’m curious to see what our efforts have produced,” Weitzman said. “I absolutely recommend that students attend, with a teacher’s permission. If they don’t have a prep we have worksheets available to bring back to teachers.”

The official schedule for the Social Justice Seminar, a conference aiming to educate the Palo Alto High School community about empathy and social justice in education.

Students interested in attending the seminar can find more information on the SJP Seminar Facebook page.