Paly and Gunn to face off at upcoming night rally

Bianca Al-Shamari

The Palo Alto High School Associated Student Body and Gunn High School Student Executive Council are hosting an inter-school night rally at 7 p.m. tomorrow at the Gunn gym.

ASB and SEC created a promotional video to advertise the rally for students, which will feature a relay race, a staff-student volleyball game and performances from both the Gunn and Paly dance and cheer teams.

Senior Class President Eli Friedlander explained the relay race in further detail.

Juniors Kaitlyn Vi and Nora Danie stand in front of the promotional poster for the upcoming night rally.

Juniors Kaitlyn Vi and Nora Danie stand before the promotional poster for the upcoming night rally. Photo by Bianca Al-Shamari.

“The first race will be a relay race between Paly upperclassmen versus Gunn upperclassmen,” Friedlander said. “Then Paly underclassmen versus Gunn underclassmen, finishing with a Paly and Gunn versus a combined staff volleyball game.”

Friedlander said that the rally will be a friendly competition between cross-town rivals.

“It should be a lot of fun– a friendly competition with our cross town rivals and competition against the staff,” Friedlander said. “I’m hoping that Paly kids come out so we can prove exactly how loud we are.”

Both Paly and Gunn cheer and dance teams will be having a joint performance, featured at the end of the volleyball game.

“Cheer and dance from both schools will be performing in a joint performance,” senior Spirit Commissioner Reid Walters said. “It’ll be a special performance made just for the rally.”

Gunn senior Human Relations Commissioner Misty Hong explains why Paly ASB and Gunn SEC collaborated on this event.

T-Shirts will be sold on campus $10 for Short Sleeve and $15 for Baseball Sleeves.

T-Shirts will be sold on campus $10 for Short Sleeve and $15 for Baseball Sleeves. Photo by Bianca Al-Shamari.

“We wanted to plan an event that included both schools,” Hong said. “Especially because Cupertino schools have IDC rallies—we wanted to do something based off of that to see if we could create a more positive bond between both schools.”

T-shirts for the rally are being sold on the Quad at brunch and lunch. Walter encourages students to purchase shirts to show their support during the rally.

“We’re selling t-shirts on campus $10 for Short Sleeve and $15 for Baseball Sleeves,” Walter said. Let’s show up rocking our spirit, so come out and get your t-shirt soon, Paly.”