ASB hopes for successful adaptation to Winter Rally due to construction

Seniors prepare for staff and student basketball game in the 2015 Winter Rally. This year the rally will be modified to adapt to construction. Photo by the Paly Voice
Seniors prepare for staff and student basketball game in the 2015 Winter Rally. This year the rally will be modified to adapt to construction. Photo by The Paly Voice.

A soccer game will be held after brunch on Jan. 14 at the Lacrosse field by Palo Alto High School Associated Student Body to replace the annual student-vs-staff basketball game because of construction on the gyms.

According to Senior Class President Eli Friedlander, the game will be played with nine seniors and nine teachers.

Students who are interested in playing in the match can sign up through an online form, and teams will be selected randomly, according to Friedlander.

In past years the Winter Rally has consisted of a student-vs-teacher basketball game in the Big Gym. According to Friedlander, the construction of the gyms prompted ASB to create a new tradition.

“It was tough to find something visual and fun,” Friedlander said. “But we are working hard to keep this great tradition alive.”

ASB will announce the location for Prom at the event, as well as provide hot chocolate for attendees, according to Friedlander.

According to Friedlander, although rainy weather is a concern,  ASB plans to adapt to the potential rain by providing tents for attending students.

ASB is optimistic about the adjustments and is excited for the match.

“Hopefully we have a great turnout and the game is safe, fun and visual,” Friedlander said.