Preview: Spirit Week to conclude with float, dance

Juniors dance around their float, themed after 'Yellow Submarine." Photo by Cathy Rong.
Class of 2015 dance around float, themed after ‘Yellow Submarine’ during Spirit Week 2013. Each class will perform their respective dance after school on the football field. Photo by Cathy Rong.

Students will show off their school pride in the conclusion of Palo Alto High School’s Spirit Week 2015 this Friday. The last day will feature school-wide unity with freshmen, sophomores and juniors dressing in green and white. Seniors will wear camouflage attire.

According to the Paly Associated Student Body website, rallies will be held during Lunch and after school. Lunch activities will begin on the football field, where the grades will face off in three events: “Pumpkin Carving,” “Hula Hoop” and “Blindfold Art.”

According to junior Spirit Commissioner Cezanne Lane, “Pumpkin Carving” and “Blindfold Art” are both new activities introduced this year.

“We really wanted to incorporate different types of activities this year in order to include as many people as possible,” Lane said.

According to Lane, participants in “Pumpkin Carving” will be handed a pumpkin at the beginning of Lunch, and students will need to clear the seeds and carve. Pumpkins will be graded at the end of Lunch based on creativity and execution. In “Blindfold Art,” each grade will have two participants: an artist and a guide. The pair will have three minutes to complete a picture, and teams will also be graded on creativity and execution.

“I am really looking forward to seeing some of the school’s best artists and what they can create with these cool new activities,” Lane said.

The final activity, “Hula Hoop,” will consist of teams passing a hula hoop through a line of people holding hands. There will be four rounds and the first class to sit down after completing them will win the event, according to the ASB website.

Following these three events will be the teacher dance.

The final Spirit Week rally will kick off after school, which will feature spirit dances and floats, according to the ASB website. The floats will be judged on their stuffing, theme, creativity and overall look. The class with the best float will be awarded 1,000 points.

According to Lane, this year’s spirit dances have an inspiring amount of participation, especially the freshmen.

“They [the freshmen] have around 70 dancers participating in their dance! That’s a freshman record,” Lane said.

According to the ASB website, the spirit dances will be judged on artistry, execution, theme and overall look. The class with the best dance will also be awarded 1,000 points. Each team must have at least five girls and five boys, and grades will be awarded five points for every dancer.

Scores from the week will be added up on Friday by ASB officers and the final tally will be revealed at the Homecoming Dance.

Lane expressed her excitement for Spirit Week’s thrilling conclusion.

“I can’t wait to see all of the dances that the grades have prepared for this Friday,” Lane said.

View Comments (1)