Volleyball team defeats Homestead Mustangs

Sophomore outside hitter Chelsea Fan serves the ball during Palo Alto High School’s game Thursday against the Homestead Mustangs. According to Fan, the team played cohesively, but had trouble with serving. “We really worked well as a team and played well together, but we definitely missed too many serves,” Fan said. Photo by Jackson Doerr.

Palo Alto High School volleyball (13-7, 2-1) swept the Homestead Mustang’s (2-11, 1-3) in three sets on Thursday at Gunn High School, Paly’s temporary home gym.

Paly’s performance overall was strong, winning every set of the game, although the team struggled with serving.

“We really meshed well as a team tonight and had great chemistry,” junior libero Trisha Wittenbrink said. “We obviously need to work on serving, and serve-receive can always improve. We need to be able to execute our individual jobs so that we can build off each other.”

According to Vikings’ head coach Jekara Wilson, Paly played well as a team and overall performance was solid, though there are always areas to improve.

“I thought that the team performed really well,” Wilson said. “We will be working on serving and passing a lot more.”

The Vikings’ offense was led by sophomore hitter Chelsea Fan and junior setter Jessica Lee, according to Wilson.

“I think that we really came together as a team and played super well together,” Lee said. “I played pretty well and helped out the hitters a lot.”

Paly’s defense highlighted strong and consistent performance by senior Claire Dennis and Wittenbrink, according to Wilson. However, Wittenbrink still sees aspects to improve on.

“I think my performance was okay,” Wittenbrink said. “I need to work on mental toughness. If I can get that down, my entire game will improve drastically.”

Homestead’s head coach, Gary Carroll, was disappointed with the Mustangs’ lack of discipline on the court.

“We need to take back deliberate discipline,” Carroll said. “Deliberate discipline in our defense, deliberate discipline in our lives.”

The Vikings’ next game is set for 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 6, at Saratoga High School.