One Acts to highlight theater talent

11225607_1122472977778450_1265249783_n
Junior Clara Baker, senior Guive Assadi and sophomore Claire Eberhart (left to right) star in “No Exit” by Jean Paul Sartre. The One Acts will premiere at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Haymarket Theater. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond.

The Palo Alto High School Theater Department’s annual One Acts will feature student-run plays from Thursday, May 7, to Saturday, May 9 in the  Haymarket Theater.

Each play is directed, produced and acted by students, according to theater teacher Kathleen Woods. While four of the plays are professionally written, the One Acts will include one original script, “The Sphynx”, written by senior Guive Assadi.

According to Woods, the One Acts provide a unique experience to actors and directors.

“The One Acts Showcase offers opportunities for students to take on leadership roles and offers many roles to actors who may not have participated in Paly Theater before,” Woods said.  “Experienced student actors and directors participate as well, so it is a great mix.”

ZOEEEEEE
Cast members and junior Zoe Limbrick fix their makeup during the final dress rehearsal for One Acts. Photo by Dalia van Zyll.

Director and junior Sophie Swezey believes she was able to advance her skills through preparation for the Showcase.

“I think my directing skills improved a lot,” Swezey said.  “This was such a large cast, and my co-director …  and I really did have full control over the rehearsal process. I learned a lot about time management and how to get things done effectively.”

Actress and sophomore Dalia van Zyll is also looking forward to the performance.

“I’m super excited for One Acts,” van Zyll said. “The show’s going to be tons of fun for both the cast and the audience. We’ve worked very hard on it and can’t wait to perform.”

The One Acts will premiere at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and continue through Saturday. Those attending the Showcase can RSVP on the event’s Facebook page. Tickets are $5 and are only available at the door.