Preview: Paly Athletics and Paly Quarterback Club to host golf fundraiser

Paly football fans cheer during the Central Coast Section football championship on Nov. 25, 2023. Paly beat Mountain View 34-33. (Photo: Tyler Wong)

Paly Athletics and Paly Quarterback Club will jointly host a golf tournament fundraiser on May 23 at the Baylands Golf Links, with registration at 12:30 p.m. and a start time of 1:30 p.m.

Individual golfers can register for $300, and foursomes can register for $1100. Non-golfers can register just for the post-round reception for $50. Proceeds will help support Paly Athletics, specifically the football program.

The tournament fees will include use of a golf cart, range balls, a post-round reception, swag, contests and awards, and prizes. Event sponsors include Agile Physical Therapy, Bar Zola, IEQ Capital, Palo Alto Fit, Palo Alto Police Foundation, State of Mind Public House and Pizzeria, Sundance the Steakhouse, and Turnitin.

Established in 2023, the Paly Quarterback Club is an ongoing charitable fund supporting Palo Alto High School athletics, including the football program and its student-athletes. Its priority is supplemental funding for safety, strength training, and supplies. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, donations are tax deductible.

Paly parent and Quarterback Club founder Matt Robinson said, “For many public schools, it’s critical to raise supplemental funds for safety-related expenditures. More than a million sport-related injuries occur among high school athletes each year.”

Funds will support emergency medical technicians (EMTS), equipment such as helmets and shoulder pads, and increased physical and mental well-being training for players.

With back-to-back Central Coast Section championships in the past two years, Paly football has experienced growing interest from students interested in playing. Last fall, for the first time in many years, Paly had enough players to field a freshman team, in addition to junior varsity and varsity teams.

Junior and varsity football captain Jeremiah Fung pointed to the impact the Paly Quarterback Club is already having, with the club raising enough in its first six months to help support a part-time strength and conditioning coach.

“I think we are growing as a team physically and that having a strength coach is helping us grow a lot,” said Fung. “I can’t wait to see how spring ball and summer will go for the team and how we mesh as a unit.”

In addition to the upcoming golf tournament, the Paly Quarterback Club is planning additional fundraising activities for later in 2024, in coordination with the Paly Sports Boosters and the Paly Athletic Department.

Prospective golf tournament participants can contact [email protected] for more information.

Editor’s note: the author is a member of the Paly football team.