Paly girls’ varsity basketball: season recap and preparation for CCS

Arohi Bhattacharya and Emily Yun

With its season coming to an end, the Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity basketball team will play against Carlmont High School at Central Coast Section quarterfinals at 5:30 p.m. on Feb.25 at Palo Alto High School. The team, seeded first in its division, is ready to take on its competition on the court, according to players on the team.

“I am a little nervous for the game tomorrow, but it is super exciting to be competing in CCS,” sophomore Jessica Fiske said.

Sophomore Thea Enache also expressed her feelings about the big game.

“Looking at the outcome from the game last year, even though we’re down a player due to her ACL injury, I think our team has what it takes to go far this postseason,” Enache said.

According to Enache, the team faced several challenges this season, such as having no seniors and losing a player, but it overcame these challenges and became a stronger team. The team only had one loss and the players said they felt they had grown as both a team and individuals.

“It’s really sad to have the season end, but overall I feel like I have improved a lot,” Fiske said. “There are no seniors on the team so I’m excited to play with the same people next year.”

For a deeper insight into the team and its season, we interviewed several players on the team and the coach, Scott Peters.