PTSA to host “Time and Stress” event

The Western Association of Schools and Colleges team students used visual graphics like this “Stress Tree” to break down the problems students face at Paly. Photo by Maya McNealis.
During a Western Association of Schools and Colleges meeting, student leaders and other members of WASC used visual graphics like this “Stress Tree” to analyze problems students face at Paly. Photo by Maya McNealis.

The Parent Teacher Student Association will host a presentation-workshop on time management and stress reduction for parents and students at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 29 in the Palo Alto High School Media Arts Center.

Guest speaker Ali Zidel Meyers, executive director of Meyers Learning Center, will speak on specific strategies parents and students can use to build time awareness, mindfulness and efficacy in daily life. She will provide practical time management tools, exercises and resources for building positive habits and reducing stress.

Meyers has extensive experience in helping people enhance learning, build confidence and achieve success, and has presented at more than a dozen schools in the Bay Area, according to Meyers.

“Stress levels are extremely high among students in Silicon Valley,” Meyers wrote in an email to The Paly Voice. “Pressure to succeed and compete is not just a local phenomenon, but the Valley has its own unique brand of it. [At the presentation,] I’m excited to address some modern misconceptions connected to time use and stress. Palo Alto parents and students are always wonderful to present to; they come with great questions, wise insights and wonderful perspectives.”

The co-vice presidents of Parent Education for the Paly PTSA, Dawn Billman and Louise Valente, say they believe this event will be beneficial for everyone, as it focuses on stress relief in a time of college admissions frenzy.

Prior to this presentation, there will be a quick PTSA meeting at which the executive board will discuss proposed budget changes and receive a brief update on the Social Justice Pathway, according to PTSA president Linda van Gelder.