Preview: Girls’ soccer to kick off league season against Los Altos

The Palo Alto High School girls’ soccer team (6-0-0) will open its league season with a challenging game against Los Altos High School (1-5-0) at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow at Los Altos High School.

Paly ended it pre-season on Monday by winning against Gunn High School in its last non-league game 6-0. The team is hopeful for a win against Los Altos after tying the team 2-2 in its first league game last year.

“Los Altos has been a tough team for us in past seasons,” assistant coach Eric Seedman said. “Even when we have outplayed them, we’ve had trouble getting wins.”

Seedman feels that the team needs to improve its offensive attack and better act on opportunities to score.

“The team can lose focus at times, especially when we have a lead in the game,” Seedman said. “Some games we have struggled to finish easy chances.”

According to Seedman, although the Los Altos team returns many quality players from last season, it also welcomes a new coach. Seedman said he is unsure of what to expect based on Los Altos’s pre-season. 

“They [Los Altos] had an odd selection of pre-season games, with opponents from outside of CCS [Central Coast Section] for the most part, so we do not know how to gauge their results,” Seedman said.

Paly will enter this game with a strong pre-season with a total of 25 goals in 6 games, according to junior co-captain and defensive midfielder Jacey Pederson.

“This pre-season has been the best pre-season we’ve had as a team all of the years I’ve been in the program,” Pederson said.

Pederson is looking forward to the match with confidence.

“In the past, we have struggled against Los Altos,”  Pederson said. “But I have faith that this year we can come out strong and get the result [we want].”