Club to host sMACdown

The Palo Alto High School Super Smash Bros club will host a video gaming tournament for Paly, Gunn High School and Los Altos High School from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday in the Paly Media Arts Center.

Smash Bros club members practice their skills during their lunchtime club  meetings. Photo by William Zhou
Smash Bros club members practice their skills during their lunchtime club
meetings. Photo by William Zhou

Super Smash Bros is a fighting game series that has been popular among students.

“Super Smash Bros is a game that can be played many times and provides a new experience every time,” Paly Super Smash Bros club president Andy Kotik said. “It can be a very competitive game or a very friendly game, so it has a broad appeal.”

The Super Smash Bros club is hosting the tournament for fun and for honor, according to Kotik.

“We just love the game and want to get others into it,” Kotik said. “Second, Los Altos High School hosted one last year, so we returned the favor. Also they beat us last year, so we had to fight for our honor.”

In addition to Los Altos High School, the tournament is open to several other schools.

“We invited Gunn because they have a gaming club and we know several good players so we decided to go for it,” Kotik said. “There were also plans to invite San Mateo High School, but it overlapped with their Homecoming.”

There will be three brackets in the tournament for the different iterations of the games and styles of play. The brackets are Project M, Brawl and crew battles. Project M and Brawl are events for singles while crew battles have a group of 12 players in six player teams face off, Kotik said.

According to Kotik, the tournament already has over 40 participants.

“It’s a pretty popular game, and I figured, across three schools, we could gather a significant crowd,” Kotik said. “I’m very excited.”

To participate in the tournament, players can register online or at the door from 9 a.m. to 9:50 a.m.

The tournament will also be streamed online