District hires new Chief Technology Officer

A former school district technology expert will start work as chief technology officer for the Palo Alto Unified School District later this week.

Derek Moore from San Jose Unified School District is replacing Ann Dunkin, who now works for the Environmental Protection Agency.

According to Moore, one of the main attractions to working at PAUSD is that the district is often at the forefront of technology and has seemingly unlimited resources. “Palo Alto schools are always ahead of the game [in technology],” he said.

According to Superintendent Max McGee, with the addition of new buildings throughout PAUSD, there are many ways to technologically improve the district’s learning environment.

“Mr. Moore joins our district at a critical time where technology touches nearly all aspects of the teaching and learning experience,” McGee said in a press release.

For Paly students, Moore’s success will be judged on his effectiveness in resolving ongoing problems like access to Wi-Fi. Many Paly students have difficulty with Wi-Fi, especially with the new buildings. “We tried to do an online assignment in [Advanced Placement] Psych on our phones, but none of them would connect to the Wi-Fi,” senior Cameron Aishin said.

“Wi-Fi has got to be available,” Moore said. “There will always be some small things you’ll have to adjust.”