Boys’ basketball grounds Saratoga, 66-31

The Palo Alto High School boys’ basketball team (8-7,3-1)  beat Saratoga High School (5-11, 0-5) Wednesday, 66-31, at Paly in the Big Gym.

The Vikings have now won three of their last four games and move to 3-1 in league play. Saratoga extended its losing streak to nine in a row.

Paly dominated the game from the tip and never looked back. Senior guard Keesean Johnson lead the team with 15 points and junior guard Kevin Mullin added 13 of his own.

Mullin was very pleased with how his teammates performed and their ability to hit shots.

“It was a good opportunity for us to get in our bench guys and for them to get experience,” Mullin said.  “We hit a lot of our shots tonight which is always a positive.”

The Vikings went into halftime with a 32-17 lead and began the second half on a roll.  Senior forward Matthew Fogarty hit a layup in the beginning of the second half to put the Vikings up for good. Senior guard Clark Schmutz hit a three a few possessions later to put the Vikings up 39-21.

Junior guards Alex and Max Dees both made impacts off the bench, as did sophomore forward Mike Grandy, who added four points and four rebounds.

“It was pretty nice that everyone got to play and play some playing time,” senior guard Noah Phillips said.  “We don’t see a lot of that during league, but overall I think it was a good win.”

Philips is encouraged by his team’s overall play in their early league games and hopes to keep the momentum going.

“Were 3-1 in league so far against three really competitive teams and a good Saratoga team,” said Phillips.  “We hope to have some of the same success in the upcoming weeks.”

The Vikings will next take on Mountain View High School in Mountain View at 7:45 p.m. tomorrow.