Spring Spirit Week offers excitement, new activities

During last year’s Spring Spirit Week, Palo Alto High School students flaunted bold colors and glittery accessories in accordance to the “Pop and Rock” theme. This year’s Spring Spirit Week will be kicking off on Monday. According to Associated Student Body President Julian Hong, the events will include Quadchella concerts, where students can showcase their musical talents during lunch on the Quad. “Last year, we didn’t integrate Quadchella, but this year, it’s an addition that we’re doing because we want to fill up some more time and get student bands involved,” Hong said. (Photo: Nathan Jiang)

Following a memorable Spirit Week last fall, Palo Alto High School students are looking forward to another round of dressing up to themes and cheering at rallies during Spring Spirit Week, kicking off tomorrow. 

Monday’s dress-up theme is “Adam Sandler,” with outfits of baggy shirts and shorts. On Tuesday, students can choose either a rustic or refined aesthetic, in “Country Ranch” vs “Country Club.” Wednesday’s theme is “Barbenheimer,” a combination of last year’s blockbusters “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer.” Thursday will feature “Grill Dads” and “Soccer Moms,” followed by Friday’s theme of green and white school spirit, with seniors wearing camouflage. Outfit inspiration and more information can be found on ASB’s Instagram.

Each day will host a “Best-Dressed” competition during brunch on the Quad. Students can perform at Paly’s annual Quadchella music concert during lunch on Monday and Wednesday. Additionally, a student vs. staff volleyball game will take place during lunch on Tuesday, and a rally will take place during lunch on Thursday in the Big Gym.

According to Associated Student Body President Julian Hong, the week will feature more events than last year’s Spring Spirit Week.

“We’re having events every day this time instead of just two events for a whole week,” Hong said. “We’re having ‘Best Dressed’ every single day, and we’re also going to be having events at lunch every single day. It’ll help keep energy levels consistent.”

ASB Sophomore President David Wu said he hopes the additional events will increase student participation.

“It [Spring Spirit Week] is definitely ramped up a bit,” Wu said. “[There are] more activities, with [the addition of] Quadchella. So that way, on the days when you don’t have rallies, you can still come to the Quad and watch people perform.”

One student looking forward to the festivities is junior Sophie Mies, who said participating in Spring Spirit Week is a great way to relieve stress and take part in school-wide fun.

“It’s cool that ASB is setting this up, especially at a really stressful time for students,” Mies said. “I look forward to seeing everyone dressed up and at all of the rallies.”

While ASB has been handling many activities, including planning for the upcoming Prom, Hong said the committee has still prepared extensively for next week’s events.

“We’re coming right off of elections,” Hong said. “We needed to give ourselves enough planning time and planning space. There’s a lot of things that go on behind the scenes. We have to reserve gyms [and] make sure all the themes are appropriate.”

Given that Spring Spirit Week tends to be more low-scale than the one in the fall, Wu said ASB is attempting to promote next week’s activities more than in previous years. 

“We’re definitely trying to raise excitement for the student body with a lot of publicity,” Wu said. “Students get excited about staff and student games and activities at rallies such as ‘Hungry, Hungry Hippos.’”