‘Breaking Down the Walls’ aims to encourage student unity

Students are participating in ‘Breaking Down the Walls’ Tuesday through Friday in an effort to promote student culture and unity. According to Palo Alto High School Principal Brent Kline, the event will allow student connectedness through activities. “It’s a lot of team building exercises,” Kline said, “You’ll learn chants and cheers, and it’s an opportunity to have fun.” (Photo: Veronica Qiu)

As part of a schoolwide initiative to strengthen student culture and promote a more inclusive community, Palo Alto High School is hosting Breaking Down the Walls this week where students are participating in a day-long program starting today with bonding activities to connect with fellow classmates. 

Monday was a training day for group leaders, with the program itself running everyday, today through Thursday. 

According to Principal Brent Kline, the event will add another dimension to students’ social experiences at Paly.

“It’s an opportunity for students to be involved in the Paly experience beyond their classrooms,” Kline said. “[As] our world appears to get bigger we spend less time stopping and just talking to find out someone else’s story and to hear experiences that they have had at our school, you might get different stories and different experiences.”

Over 80 juniors and seniors have already signed up to help lead the activity as group leaders. Student Body President and junior Julian Hong says that the experience will bring students from diverse backgrounds together.

“Breaking Down the Walls will allow Paly students to build connections with fellow students they may never meet regularly on campus and help bridge perceived differences,” Hong said. “Through the experience, I hope students can find that we all hold many more similarities than we think, and I hope that will unify our school spirit and community.” 

Kline said the event also serves to provide students a respite from studying and academics.

“I want students to take a break from the academic focus. … Sometimes you just need to take a break and enjoy the other aspects of high school,” Kline said.

Though signups closed on Jan. 18, there are still extra spots open and interested students should ask an administrator about it.