Preview: Boys’ lacrosse looks to finish season strong

Senior attacker and captain Asher Friedman looks for an opening against Carlmont during a Paly victory April 25 at home. According to junior attacker Max Healy, the Vikings need to be on the same page to be successful. “We need to have good focus and intensity,” Healy said. “We have to keep our heads in the game and not underestimate our opponent.” (Photo: Daniel Garepis-Holland)

Following a decisive win over Burlingame High School on Monday, the Palo Alto High School varsity boys’ lacrosse team (5-4) seeks to top the Los Altos Eagles (6-3) in a crucial game 7 p.m. Friday at home.

The Eagles currently hold second place in the league, with the Vikings hot on their heels in third. Winning Friday’s game would propel the Vikings ahead of the Eagles, giving the Vikings a shot at Central Coast Section playoffs. 

Sophomore attacker Sam Helft said the Vikings are excited to play the Eagles for a chance at CCS. 

“Everything’s on the line in this last game,” Helft said. “It will determine if our season continues or not, which is especially important for our seniors who might be playing their last games [in high school] ever.”

According to junior attacker Max Healy, the Vikings are coming into the game with a strong mindset and are prepared to try their best.

“Going into this game, we are confident but not complacent; we are playing with a sense of urgency, playing with heart, and we are going to embrace the challenge,” Healy said. “Because this might be our last game this season, everyone is planning on putting their all into this game and having a good last game for our seniors, regardless of the outcome.”

According to Helft, one of the team’s strengths all season has been the friendships among players.

“Friends are like lacrosse sticks,” Helft said. “They help you catch the good times and pick you up when you fall.”

CCS boys’ lacrosse playoffs begin May 10.