Preview: Varsity Baseball looking to sweep Gunn in league play

Viking Sophomore Isaiah Walker pitches against Sequoia in a 19 inning battle earlier this season. The Vikings are now 4-3 in league and hold the third position in the standings. According to Walker, things for the baseball team are on the rise. “Our energy is just getting better and better,” Walker said. “The team is feeding off the energy and I can feel the difference within the games.” (Photo: Celeste Bates)

Shreyas Shashi, Multimedia Editor, Business Manager

After a 5-3 win against Gunn High School on Wednesday, the Palo Alto High School Varsity Baseball team (4-3) will take on Gunn (1-6) in the back end of a league series, 4 p.m. Friday at home. 

The Vikings head into the game with a four-game win streak in league, after dropping a few games in the beginning of league play. The team is looking to continue to grind their way up the league standings, where they currently sit at 3rd place, and secure a playoff position. 

According to junior infielder Ari Smolar-Eisenberg, this is just the tip of the iceberg for the Vikings.

“It feels good coming off a rough start in league,” Smolar-Eisenberg said. “But we’re just starting to get hot, we got more wins coming.”

Wednesday was the first time the Vikings faced off against the crosstown rivals since 2019.

According to sophomore Isaiah Walker, this game was especially exciting for the players.

“League games are always amped up and important, but these games are different because of the inner city rivalry,” Walker said. “Always feels good to beat Gunn.”

Smolar-Eisenberg explains that the team’s approach going into Friday’s game is to keep things clean on the field.

“As long as we take care of the ball and play our game we will win,” Smolar-Eisenberg said. “The goal is to limit walks and free bases.”

Starting Pitchers:

Paly: Henry Harding (sophomore)

Gunn: Joshua Dawson (senior)