Preview: Film Club to host major motion picture in PAC

Students, staff, and parents will come together 7 p.m. Saturday to watch a major motion film provided by Palys Film Club. According to club president, Bennet Hardy, this will not be the last film he and his collaborator senior Asa Deggeller will present. “Asa and I [will] attempt to show more classic films in the future,” Hardy said. (Photo: Johnathan Chen)

Students, staff, and parents will come together 7 p.m. Saturday to watch a major motion film provided by Paly’s Film Club. According to club president, Bennet Hardy, this will not be the last film he and his collaborator senior Asa Deggeller will present. “Asa and I [will] attempt to show more classic films in the future,” Hardy said. (Photo: Johnathan Chen)

Shreyas Shashi, Multimedia Editor, Business Manager

Members of the Palo Alto School District are invited to a movie screening 7 p.m. Saturday in the Palo Alto High School Performing Art Center.

This event is being arranged by the Paly Film Club, with help from the Associated Student Body, will be a showing of George Lucas’ fan favorite film,The Empire Strikes Back.”

All PAUSD students and staff will be allowed to attend for free. Parents are welcome to join as well, after buying a $5 ticket at the door or online at the Paly webstore.

Senior Bennett Hardy, president of the club, said he is using this event to show Paly his passion for film.

“I’m a lover of film and I want to share my love [with] the school,” Hardy said.

In addition to sharing admiration for film, Hardy said 75% of the event’s proceeds will be going towards the Boys and Girls Clubs of America and the other 25% will go towards ASB, which funded the club’s movie site license.

Sophomore Class President Julian Hong is excited about movie nights coming to school.

“It should be a regular occurrence,” Hong said. “It’s definitely very family friendly and we’re looking to [build] a great community at Paly.”

According to Paly Teacher Steven Gallagher, Saturday will be the first major motion picture hosted in the PAC, a $29-million facility that seats 584 people and finished construction in 2016. The PAC, equipped with a Meyer Constellation sound system,  has been used to host plays, speakers, concerts, and tests, but Hardy said the PAC would also be an ideal venue to host a movie.

“The PAC is the perfect location at Paly to show films with a classic auditorium [where] we still retain the movie theater’s ambiance,” Hardy said.  “The main goal of the showing is to have a blast-from-the-past type feeling. We want to show classic films we can’t see in theaters anymore.