Vikings to play Milpitas Trojans in final qualifying match

The Palo Alto High School Viking offensive line wrestles with the Mountain View High School Spartan defensive linemen on the line of scrimmage during the football match last Friday, where the Vikings won 48-35. The Vikings will play the Milpitas High School Trojans Friday at 7 p.m for the final spot in the league playoffs. According to junior tackle Iki Tupou, the Viking football team is looking forward to playing the Trojans in their last league game. “I’m pretty optimistic about us winning,” Tupou said. “We haven’t won many games and haven’t won any at home so far so we’re hungry for this win. At the end of the day, however, Milpitas is gonna come to fight and we can’t underestimate them.” (Photo: Daniel Garepis-Holland)

After winning a crucial match against the Mountain View Spartans (1-3) last Friday, the Palo Alto High School Viking varsity football team (1-3) will play their last league game against the Milpitas Trojans (1-3) Friday at 7 p.m. 

The Vikings must beat the Trojans, or they will not qualify for the playoffs.

According to senior offensive linebacker Lincoln Tutor, the Vikings are looking forward to the game since it is their ticket to the league playoffs. 

“We want a win and spirits are high for that,” Tutor said. “[Winning] would mean a lot because it means we have secured playoffs and get to compete at the higher league.”

The Vikings are currently ranked fourth in the DeAnza league, and the Trojans are currently ranked sixth. The Trojans notably lost their game against the Spartans, 43-23, Friday, Oct. 14. The top four teams out of six in each league qualify for Central Coast Section, a tournament after the regular season. Both teams lost their first three games and won their fourth.

The Vikings have faced multiple setbacks during the season. Despite losing their initial losing streak, they won their last game against the Spartans, which put the Vikings in contention for the last spot in the league playoffs. 

Throughout the match last Friday against the Spartans, Viking players scored a volley of touchdowns. A total of seven touchdowns were scored by junior running back Jeremiah Madrigal, junior wide receiver Jason Auzenne, senior running back Jack Newman, senior defensive back Franklin Tutor and junior quarterback Declan Packer.

According to Madrigal, the Vikings have been working hard all week to execute their skills at the upcoming match.

“Going into the game I’m confident in the team’s ability to execute what we practiced all week,” Madrigal said. “I’m super fired up for this game, and I can’t wait.”

The Vikings are scheduled to play their final league game 7 p.m. tonight against the Milpitas Trojans at home.