Girls’ Volleyball sweeps Los Gatos

Malia Wanderer, Sports Editor

Senior middle blocker Grace Thayer and junior middle blocker Trisha Razdan go in for a block against Los Gatos. Palo Alto High School won their final league match against Los Gatos today, 3-0. “I just really wanted to come in and definitely have a lot of fun and to play as hard as we can,” Thayer said. Photo: Malia Wanderer

The Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity volleyball team (9-0) defeated rival team Los Gatos High School (4-4) in three sets Tuesday, remaining undefeated in league.

According to senior middle blocker Grace Thayer, the Vikings were determined to beat Los Gatos in a quick game.

“All of us wanted to win so badly, we were throwing ourselves everywhere just trying to get the ball down as soon as possible,” Thayer said.

The Vikings dominated the first set, winning 25-21, exhibiting both a strong offense and defense. Sophomore outside hitter and middle blocker Thea Enache and junior outside hitter Sophia Krugler made many blocks and kills throughout the set. 

“We played really well as a team,” Enache said. “When someone messed up a little, we made up for their mistakes and made it a really good finish.”

In the second set, the Vikings’ defensive game remained strong, with successful blocks from Thayer and senior middle blocker and Amelia Gibbs. Despite many calls against them at the end of the set, Paly managed to take the second set 25-23 after a final kill made by Enache. 

In the third and final set, the Wildcats took the lead early, but the Vikings were able to rally back and close the gap. After a close set, the Vikings won with a narrow two point lead, 25-23.

According to volleyball coach Chris Crader, the Vikings excelled at regaining momentum during difficult circumstances in the game.

“It seemed like we’d get down for a while and struggle for a while, and our girls kept their heads up and kept fighting,” Crader said. 

The Vikings next game is against Henry M. Gunn High School at 6:45 p.m. Oct. 24 at home.