Social Justice teachers cancel field trip to Los Angeles

Amy Yu and

Sophomore Sabrina Chan talks about the cancellation of a Social Justice Pathway field trip on Friday to the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles. She was excited to go with her friends and disappointed that her teachers decided to cancel the trip despite the fact there was another solution offered. “There was an alternate solution to leave at 2 [a.m.], but the coordinators [Social Justice teachers] did not want to risk going all the way there and have the road close again.” Chan said. Photo: Amy Yu

Social Justice Pathway students may have to wait until next year to visit the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles after Social Justice teachers cancelled the field trip on Thursday, Feb. 21.

The Social Justice teachers Eric Bloom, Marc Tolentino, Erin Angel and Caitlin Evans received a notice around 2:30 p.m. on Thursday from their busing company about the pending weather-related closure of Highway 5 in the Grapevine area. According to Bloom, a Social Justice history teacher, a suggested detour would have added three hours to their trip.

“There was a good chance that the freeway would open, but it’s not going to be an easy drive and the likelihood of us getting down there in time [for our tour] was shaky,” Bloom said.

Additionally, Bloom said there was an option to leave earlier at 2 a.m. instead of 5 a.m., but he did not want to risk turning students away on the day of the trip.

Sophomore Sabrina Chan, who planned to go on the trip, said she was disappointed that the trip was cancelled. “My friends and I were really excited to go because we were going to have fun on the bus,” Chan said. “I talked to other people and they were willing to go [at 2 a.m.].”

According to Bloom, the Social Justice teachers plan to reschedule the tour of the Holocaust exhibit in the museum. “It [the museum] ties well into the Social Justice curriculum,” Bloom said. “We want to figure out how to go there, but we may not be able to figure it out this year.”