Boys’ basketball team defeats Gunn in thrilling match

Sophia Krugler, Managing Editor

Junior guard Anthony Yu scores a free throw for the Vikings during Tuesday’s basketball game at Gunn High School. The Vikings defeated Gunn 64-53, giving them a league record of 4-2. “We just wanted to beat our rival,” senior forward Wes Walters said. “It [the rivalry] means we’re a little more pumped up which is a good thing.” Photo: Sophia Krugler
Fresh from a hard-fought victory against the Los Gatos Wildcats, the Palo Alto High School boys’ basketball team (4-2) clinched the 64-53 victory against the Henry M. Gunn High School Titans (0-6) on Tuesday night in a crowded Gunn gym.

Gunn was the first to score, earning two points. However, Paly quickly responded by scoring a three-pointer, and continued to increase its lead early in the first quarter.

Both teams played consistently, but Paly’s strong defense allowed it to have possession of the ball for the majority of the game and maintain a lead of around 15 points throughout most of the match. Paly fans went wild when junior forward Jamir Shepard sunk a shot from just in front of the centerline as time ran out in the half, earning the Vikings another three points.

At the beginning of the third quarter, Paly increased its lead, drawing fouls and scoring points from the free throw line. Adding to the Viking’s success was senior forward Jackson Chryst, who contributed multiple rebounds, and junior guard Anthony Yu, with three-pointers and free throws. 

Senior forward Wes Walters credited Paly’s success to its consistent defense.

“We were strong on the defensive end and I think that that led us into offensive chances,” Walters said.

Although Paly also won against Los Gatos on Friday, coach Rodney Tention said that he was more pleased with how his team performed against Gunn.

“We just came off of an ugly win on Friday where I know we can play better,” Tention said. “They know they can play better. And then we had two really good practices. If you practice well you’re going to play well.”

As usual, the rivalry between Gunn and Paly attracted a huge crowd, which, according to Tention, improved his team’s performance.

“The home team always has a little edge,” Tention said. “The crowd gets into it, but I think our guys responded well, and that’s kind of what the rivalry is. It’s good for both teams.”

Paly will face the Homestead Mustangs at 7:45 p.m. Friday at Homestead.