Service fair to showcase community service opportunities

Dylan Fu and Ryan Wisowaty

Editor’s Note: The Service Fair was relocated to the Peery Center breezeway the morning of as a result of poor air quality.

The YCS-Interact club will provide Palo Alto High School students with opportunities to volunteer in the local community through its service fair at lunch on Thursday.

The club is hosting the lunchtime fair on the Paly Quad to offer students the opportunity to explore service projects by inviting local community organizations to the campus. The fair is intended to match organizations to the specific interests, skills and passions of Paly students, senior and YCS-Interact President Ashley Hitchings said.

“We know that Paly students can be very passionate,” Hitchings said. “They like getting out there and helping their community.” 

YCS-Interact is a community service-oriented club that joins the Youth Community Service and Interact organizations, two nationwide and international movements, according to the club’s website.

The event is the second in YCS-Interact’s history. Last year’s inaugural fair saw a myriad of different organizations.

Organizers are hoping to capitalize on last year’s success by involving more organizations and offering more raffle prizes. Now that the fair is in its second year, the organizers were able to connect with more organizations and expect the event to run smoothly, Hitchings said.

Among the organizations that will be present at this year’s fair are the Boys and Girls Club, Ecumenical Hunger Program and the Magical Bridge Foundation.