Girls’ soccer to face top-ranked Mountain View

With an undefeated record, the Mountain View girls’ soccer team (13-0-0, 5-0-0) are ranked eighth in the country and fourth in the state and no one has come close to beating them this season. But, the Palo Alto girls’ soccer team (8-2-1, 4-0-1) are going to try.

Paly looks to end the Spartans unblemished record and get back on top of the De Anza League at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow at Mountain View High School.

According to senior captain and midfielder Emily Tomz, the team needs to stay mentally and physically tough.

“Against Mountain View, we need to bring no less than all we’ve got,” Tomz said. “Although games against Mountain View are meaningful in a sense of pride, we need to play smart and not let the emotional aspect take over. We can’t just have the urge to win in our heads, we need to play to win and to do that we need grit, intensity, and hard work all the way through.”

Chief among the Vikings’ concern will be Spartan senior forward Lucy Tang and senior captain and midfielder Bethan Parry. Tang leads the squad with 15 goals and 10 assists and Parry adds an impressive 19 assists and nine goals.

Last week, Paly split games against two tough teams, beating the Los Gatos Wildcats (6-5-1, 2-2-1), 2-1 and tied the Homestead Mustangs (7-3-2, 1-2-2), 2-2.

According to junior midfielder Leela Srinivasan, the Vikings’ pushed through tough moments against the Wildcats.

“The win against Los Gatos was really tight,” Srinivasan said. “The last five minutes were really intense since we were only up by one goal. We were fortunate that we got two goals early on in the game to keep us in the lead.”

In the home win against the Wildcats, senior captain and defender Ally Scheve and junior forward Claire Moley scored a goal apiece.

After facing the Spartans, the Vikings will have a bye on Friday before facing the Los Altos Eagles (2-7-1, 0-4-1) at 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 31 at home.