Turkey Trot coming tomorrow

Annika Behal and Eric Bo-Han Yap

Paly Students anxiously await their meals during the 2015 Turkey Trot. Photo by Sherwin Amsbaugh.

Parent volunteers serve Thanksgiving meals to Palo Alto High School students during the 2015 Turkey Trot. In the 13th annual Turkey Trot tomorrow, there will be new food options to accommodate students with different dietary restrictions. Photo by Sherwin Amsbaugh.

With Thanksgiving approaching, Palo Alto High School’s 13th annual Turkey Trot will be taking place on the Quad during an extended lunch tomorrow.

The Turkey Trot offers students the opportunity to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal. In exchange for $5 or $2 and a donation of three cans of food, students can purchase a lunch of turkey, stuffing, along with other food options.

According to parent volunteer and Turkey Trot event organizer Melissa Anderson, the proceeds from the Turkey Trot will go toward the Ecumenical Hunger Program in East Palo Alto.

“This year’s Turkey Trot will be pretty much the same as last year’s and our goal is to help out our Palo Alto community through the Ecumenical Hunger Program,” Anderson said. “We usually donate five full barrels of food items to the program.”

This year, there will also be a slight change in the preparation of the meals and also more foods options to accommodate students with dietary restrictions, according to Anderson.

“We do have a new caterer for stuffing and gravy,” Anderson said. “Some highlights this year include vegetarian and gluten-free options for students.”

According to Anderson, last year, 1,600 meals were served in the Turkey Trot, and $2,000-$4,000 were raised for EHP.

In the end, the main goal of the Turkey Trot is to bring together the Paly community and help out Palo Alto food programs, according to Anderson.

“The Turkey Trot is intended to be a community event for Paly students and staff,” Anderson said. “We hope to serve students with Thanksgiving food and also bring cans for the food drive.”

Senior class president Noga Hurwitz is eager to contribute to the surrounding community.

“Not only are we provided with incredible Thanksgiving food, which I love,”  Hurwitz said. “But we’re also doing good for our community by supporting the Ecumenical Hunger Program all while uniting our Paly family.”

Freshman Will Balentine is looking forward to his first Turkey Trot.  

“Thanksgiving dinner is one of the best meals ever and being able to have it at school is really cool,” Balentine said.