Paly boys’ varsity track team looks to continue undefeated season against Gunn

Kamala Varadarajan, Author

The Palo Alto High School Vikings track and field team (5-0) will take on the Gunn High School Titans (0-3) at home, for the final dual meet of the season later today. The Viking’s boys Varsity team, undefeated this season, can extend the winning streak if they manage to run the 4×400 relay in a time similar to the  season record.

The Vikings’ fastest 4×400 time this season is nearly 15 seconds ahead of Gunn’s fastest recorded time, according to Athletic.net, giving them an excellent chance of defeating their opponents and leading the Varsity boys team to victory.

“In general, Paly has done well against Gunn but …they have some incredible athletes and it should be a good meet,” senior sprinter Sherwin Amsbaugh (a staff member of The Paly Voice) said.

Most meets come down to the last event, the 4×400 relay, which usually ends up being the difference-maker in the meet. Earlier this season, during Palo Alto High School’s meet against Los Gatos, scores was extremely close until the very last event, but victories in the 4×400 pushed Paly over the edge, leading to a win for the Vikings.

“The current season has been going really well both personally and as a team…the team has fared incredibly well,” Amsbaugh said.

Amsbaugh is one of the four seniors on the relay team this season, and is hoping to defeat the Titans in his final home meet of his high school career.

“I’m incredibly motivated. I’m going to do everything in my power to perform better than I ever have before,” Amsbaugh said.