Girls’ lax maintains first place in League following big win against rival Gunn

Senior Kaitlin Chiu defends an opposing player from Gunn. The Vikings went on to win, 10-7, and were able to stay undefeated in the De Anza League.

With both teams undefeated in the De Anza league, the Palo Alto High School Vikings (12-3,6-0) and crosstown rival Gunn High School Titans (8-1,6-0) battled on the Paly lacrosse field Tuesday night, with the Vikings cruising to a 10-7 win.

This meeting was the first time the Vikings have played the Titans since last year’s SCVAL championships where the Vikings won 5-3.

“It meant a lot to win because they thought they had us last year and we wanted to come out and show that they didn’t have us this year either,” goalie junior Mattie Orloff said.

The Titans brought the heat early, with the first shot on goal and later, the first goal.

“Going into this game, we really wanted to win and prove that we deserve to be number one in leagues,” junior midfielder Ellen Goncher said. “It’s always tough to have the other team score first, but I think it really helped with our momentum and made us want it even more.”

The Vikes, however, brought constant pressure at the beginning of the first period, coordinating strategic attacks on the Gunn goal.

Paly finally got on the scoreboard eight minutes into the first period following a goal from junior attacker Anna Seligson, who provided the crucial breakthrough for the Vikings.

“I was really looking to be aggressive in this big game and I was fortunate to score the first goal, which I think set the tone for me and my teammates,” Seligson said.

After trailing 3-1, three goals from junior attacker Charlotte Cheng and a goal from Seligson gave the Vikings momentum and a 5-4, lead, which they would carry into halftime.

Coming out of the break, the Titans kept attacking the Viking goal, scoring quickly in the second period.

Back-to-back goals from sophomore Abby Ramsey and senior midfielder Kaitlin Chiu gave the Vikings a final push and ultimately sealed the deal.

The Vikings would ride their momentum to a hard fought victory against the Titans.

“We just have to keep up our energy, because I think we got really hyped up this game,” Chiu said. ”We need to carry that into the next game, into spring break, because after spring break we have a big game against Sacred Heart.”

Paly’s next game is against Mountain View High School at 4 p.m. Friday on the opponent’s turf.

Kasra Orumchian, Author