Meet the captains of winter athletics: Skylar Burris

As Palo Alto High School’s winter sports teams build chemistry and prepare for league play with vigor, the new captains of the soccer, wrestling and basketball teams enter the scene ready to take on the field, the floor and the court. Let’s meet the captains.

Girls’ Basketball

The girls’ team dominated leagues last year, posting an overall record of 19-8, en route to winning CCS.  After a 1st place finish in the CCS playoffs and a first round NorCal loss to Dublin High School Gaels, 55-49, in the first round of NorCals, the Palo Alto High School girls’ basketball team hopes to return to CCS finals.

Girls’ basketball does not elect official captains. Instead, seniors collectively lead as team-recognized captains, according to one of the senior varsity captains Lauren Koyama.

Senior captain Skylar Burris speaks with The Paly Voice about what being a leader on the team means to her and her fellow seniors. Expressing both excitement for the season to kick off, as well as a twinge of sadness that this will be her last Paly season. Photo: Bianca Al-Shamari.

Meet Skylar Burris. Burris has played varsity all four years of her time at Paly, and began playing in first grade.

SB: “I’ve been starting for Paly since my freshman year, and have been on varsity all four years,” Burris said. “I’m not really a captain per se, but more of a loud voice that constantly [makes] noise. We don’t really have captains, but the seniors just step up and make sure everyone understands what’s happening.”

PV: What does being a leader mean for you?

SB: Being a captain, senior, and leader means that you have to hold everyone accountable for working their hardest and letting them know when they do.”

PV: What are you most excited for this season?

SB: “I’m definitely looking forward to season starting, and hanging out even more with the team,” Burris said. “I’ll miss my teammates and all my coaches like crazy, especially the other seniors because we’ve been playing together for so long.”

To meet more Paly winter sport captains, click one of the links below:

Girls’ Basketball: Lauren Koyama

Girl’s Soccer: Emily Tomz

Girls’ Soccer: Natalie Maloney

Wrestling: Sara Aguilar

Wrestling: Seth Goyal

Boys’ Basketball: Miles Tention

Boys’ Soccer: Derek Schoenberger

Boy’s Soccer: Neil Verwillow