Meet the captains of winter athletics: Miles Tention

As Palo Alto High School’s winter sports teams build chemistry and prepare for league play with vigor, the new captains of the soccer, wrestling and basketball teams enter the scene ready to take on the field, the floor and the court. Let’s meet the captains.

Boys’ Basketball

The Palo Alto High School boys’ varsity basketball team expects to bounce back from a disappointing Central Coast Section (CCS) playoff quarterfinal exit during the 2015-16 season. With two returning seniors, the team is combining a concoction of experienced players and newer teammates to take on the upcoming season by storm.

Senior captain Miles Tention sits down with The Paly Voice to discuss his father’s impact on his athletic life, and how his upbringing inspired his current and future pursuits as a team player and team captain. Photo: Bianca Al-Shamari.

Meet Miles Tention. Senior captain Tention was introduced to basketball at the age of three by his dad, a college basketball coach and began officially playing for varsity his sophomore year, according to Tention.

MT: “I started Paly basketball the summer coming into freshman year and played summer league on varsity,” Tention said. “[I] then played regular season on [junior varsity], then back on varsity for playoffs. Sophomore year was my first full year on varsity.”

PV: When did you become captain, and what does it mean to you?

MT: “I became a captain junior year. Being a captain to me means someone that everyone can look up to at all times,” Tention said. “I lead them in, I take responsibility for all actions and I’m a role model for the younger players. [I’m] always someone they can talk to and always trying to make everyone around me better.”

PV: What are you looking forward to most this season?

MT: “This year I’m most looking forward to league play with my teammates. They’re my brothers and I love having tough times and being able to know they have my back and they have mine, along with coming to school and talking about games or practices and bonding with them everyday. I’m going to miss the Paly [versus] Gunn games the most because it’s my first taste of a rivalry game and an it’s an unreal environment.”

To meet more Paly winter sport captains, click one of the links below:

Girls’ Basketball: Lauren Koyama

Girls’ Basketball: Skylar Burris

Girl’s Soccer: Emily Tomz

Girls’ Soccer: Natalie Maloney

Wrestling: Sara Aguilar

Wrestling: Seth Goyal

Boys’ Soccer: Derek Schoenberger

Boy’s Soccer: Neil Verwillow