Meet the captains of winter athletics: Derek Schoenberger

As Palo Alto High School’s winter sports teams build chemistry and prepare for league play with vigor, the new captains of the soccer, wrestling and basketball teams]enter the scene ready to take on the field, the floor and the court. Let’s meet the captains.

Boys’ Soccer

The Paly boys’ soccer team is coming back from an outstanding record from last years’ season. Going undefeated both in preseason as well as the regular season matches, the team’s winning streak ended with a devastating  first loss during the quarter finals of CCS against Watsonville High School.

Senior captain Derek Schoenberger flashes a smile as he discusses his plans in cultivating a deeper bond between his teammates, sharing his goals for the upcoming season and expressing his optimism in the newest additions to the team. Photo: Bianca Al-Shamari.

Meet Derek Schoenberger. As senior co-captain of varsity boys’ soccer, Schoenberger is looking to build a stronger bond between players on the Paly team.

DS: “I started playing soccer when I was five,” Schoenberger said. “I first tried out for Paly soccer my freshmen year and happened to make the varsity team along with three other freshmen. I played preseason with the varsity team and decided to move down to junior varsity for the majority of the season. I was then moved back up to varsity for the last couple games of my freshman year to finish off the season.”

Schoenberger aims to work with fellow seniors to create a stronger, family-like bond within the team.

PV: What are you looking forward to most this season?

DS: “I am looking forward to seeing how much we, as seniors, can change Paly soccer. I’ve [played] for Paly for four years and us seniors have agreed that the level of commitment, and the attitudes, that the players hold during and before the season is not what we want for our last year at Paly. We want to create more of a family than a group of guys who simply play soccer together.  So I am excited to see how far a team based around these new ideals can go in terms of  how well we can compete and how great of an experience we can have.”

According to Schoenberger, Paly spirit during matches is always appreciated by the team.

DS: “People coming out to the games means the world to the players on the field. When fans come out to support the team, the energy level and intensity of our play spikes. The support and presences gives us one more incentive to give it our all and fight to the last minute for the win.”

To meet more Paly winter sport captains, click one of the links below:

Girls’ Basketball: Lauren Koyama

Girls’ Basketball: Skylar Burris

Girl’s Soccer: Emily Tomz

Girls’ Soccer: Natalie Maloney

Wrestling: Sara Aguilar

Wrestling: Seth Goyal

Boys’ Basketball: Miles Tention

Boy’s Soccer: Neil Verwillow