Changes coming to Spirit Week 2016

Bianca Al-Shamari

Last year's Spirit Week night rally marked the first ever event of it's kind. Students cheer in the stands and competed in various activities, ASB strives to launch the second annual night rally this coming October.

Seniors cheer in the stands as grade representatives competed in various activities during last year’s night rally. ASB is striving to launch the second annual night rally this coming October. Photo by Cooper Lou.

Changes are coming to Spirit Week 2016. Palo Alto High School’s Associated Student Body will launch its second annual Spirit Week night rally to replace Color Day.

There will be no school on Oct. 19 except for juniors who will be taking the PSAT. Color Day, when all students dress entirely in their class’s spirit color, will not be a part of Spirit Week.

Freshman, sophomores and seniors will instead have a flex day, where they will be able to check in with teachers, make up assignments, relax or utilize this extra time in any way they see fit.

According to junior Spirit Commissioner Michaela Fogarty, ASB was unable to change Spirit Week dates due to complications involving the need for a home football game.

“Unfortunately, the PSAT for juniors will be on the Wednesday of Spirit Week,” Fogarty said. “The plans were made last year and we have a limited number of home games in October. Spirit Week also needs to be at the same time as a home football game for Homecoming.”

Since there will be no lunch rally, Spirit Commissioners Fogarty and junior Claire Billman  have proposed a night rally instead. This year will also be the second consecutive year in which Spirit Week will include a night rally. According to Billman, the dress code will be class colors, but she suggests that students “strive for neon.”

“We will have the night rally that night and Spirit Week will still be great despite this conflict,” Fogarty said. “The night rally is going to be filled with a lot of fun activities and school spirit and we hope to have a large turn out like we did last year.”

Senior Joanna Falla expressed her disappointment about the loss of Color Day.

“Color day is one of the easier days for people to dress up for,” Falla said. “I think people are going to be bummed to hear about it.”

Junior Xander Sherer, however, is excited for the upcoming PSAT.

“It’s no problem because the PSAT is all I need to bring color to my life,” Sherer said.

Despite the complications, Spirit Week will carry on and ASB looks forward to making it another memorable year.