Get Involved Palo Alto to provide student internships over the summer

Get Involved Palo Alto, an organization focused on engaging high school students in the community through community service, internships and career education, is accepting applications for its Summer Service Learning Internship Academy until May 29.

Juniors Candace Wang, and Vivian Wu collaborate with Christina Owen during a Get Involved Palo Alto meeting. ""Photo by Daniella Maydan
Juniors Candace Wang and Vivian Wu, and freshman Grace Lam collaborate with Christina Owen during a Get Involved Academy meeting. Photo: Daniella Maydan

The Summer Internship Academy is a one-month internship which will run from June 6 to June 30, according to the Get Involved Palo Alto website. Participating students will be matched with mentors at any of the 25 local partner organizations that relate to their talents and interests.

A few of the partner organizations include, but are not limited to the Chamber of Commerce, Dream Catchers, Reading Partners, One Million Lights, Abilities United and Peninsula Volunteers

Depending on the specific organization students are matched to, they can expect to work five to six hours a day during the week, in either the Palo Alto, Menlo Park or Los Altos area. Additionally, participating students will be awarded the President’s Award for Volunteer Services, according to the Get Involved Palo Alto website. 

According to junior Candace Wang, Get Involved Academy’s project manager, the internship program is a great way for people to get working experience in the community.

“I don’t know of any other program out there that actively works to match you with a summer internship with a mentor with similar interests as you and that gives you the opportunity to do meaningful work for an entire month,” Wang said. “At the end of the day, I think this is one of those opportunities that should not be passed up because it’s the best way to get real world experience with the least hassle, and at the same time be able to contribute in the field of the participant’s interest.”

In order to be eligible to apply, students must be currently in high school, according to the Get Involved PA website. The cost of attendance is $1880 per student, and financial assistance will be given to those who need it.

Students can visit the web pages about the program and application process for more information, and can contact Get Involved PA at [email protected].