Boys’ lacrosse kicks off season, looks to sustain success

Long stick defender Trevor Woon rotates positions in a drill during preseason practice. The season starts on Mar. 4. Photo by Sam Lee.
Junior long stick defender Trevor Woon rotates positions in a drill during preseason practice. The season starts on March 4. Photo by Sam Lee.

The Palo Alto High School boys’ lacrosse team looks ahead to a successful season, hoping to gain traction with new, promising players.

Head coach DJ Shelton looks forward to a promising season.

“I’m definitely looking forward to it, this is one of the better preseasons we have had,” Shelton said. “We had two scrimmages already, one against Carlmont, one against Bellarmine.”

The lacrosse team has grown in size, as has its hopes for a successful upcoming season.

“It’s a big team, lot of experienced guys out there, lot of seniors that have been playing for a long time,” Shelton said. “So we have high hopes. You know coming off a championship season last year, this is really just kind of a follow-up and making sure we can sustain that level of success.”

He goes on to recount prominent players.

“Quintin Valenti has been first team all-league goalie twice, we have two first team all-league attack men in seniors Matt and Cole, and then we have a freshman, Pat Macintosh who is also starting this year, and will probably be first or second team all-league. Christian Rider has been a two-time all-league long pole and we got a lot of other guys with great performance.”

Senior captain Cole Tierney is expecting to find out if the new players will make an impact this season.

“There are a lot of new kids which has definitely had an impact,” Tierney said. “I’d say there are a couple promising players but most notable is the new freshman attackman Pat Macintosh. We’ll find out how much they all can contribute after our first game as a full team on Friday.”

The Vikes will play the first match of the season at 7 p.m. this Friday at Woodside High School.