ASB to host International Lunch

Julia Qiao, Author

Members of The K-Pop Dance Club practice their routine for tomorrow’s International Lunch. “These sorts of events help promote diversity and show all the different cultures that make up Paly,” sophomore K-Pop Dance Club president Vivian Nguyen said. Photo by Julia Qiao.

The Palo Alto High School Associated Student Body will hold an International Lunch tomorrow on the Quad, featuring foods and performances representing cultures from around the world, according to ASB Vice President Anmol Nagar.

Both Paly clubs and professionals will be participating in the dances and activities, Nagar said.

“Students can expect to watch dance performances, as well as participate in activities lead by clubs on the Quad,” Nagar said. “ASB organized this event to give clubs the opportunity to be more involved on Paly campus. It’s also to celebrate the multitude of amazing cultures that we have at Paly.”

Clubs that will be performing include K-Pop Dance Club, which will be performing a dance routine and the American Sign Language Club, which will be signing a song.

“The ASL club will be signing the song ‘What a Wonderful World’,” senior ASL club president Zoe Lung said. “Although it might be a little strange that the ASL club is participating in the International Day … the idea of International Day is to expose Paly students to different cultures and languages. ASL embodies not only a way to communicate, but also bringing together the Deaf culture.”

Students can also purchase different foods from around the world provided by the Global Citizens Collaborative club. According to senior GCC Club president Mabel Furutsuki, for under $5, the club will be selling Japanese juice popsicles, Valentine’s day cookies, polvorones (shortbread) from the Philippines, Chinese almond cookies and Japanese veggie crackers.

Aside from performances and food, the Model United Nations Club will also be setting up a booth to teach students more information about the United Nations. According to senior MUN club president Eli Frankel, the club will also provide information  about the current European refugee crisis and what Paly students can do to help and how they can be involved.

“These sorts of events help promote diversity and shows all the different cultures that make up Paly,” said Vivian Nguyen, sophomore K-Pop Dance Club president.