PSAT score delay prompts a deluge of inquiries from students

Palo Alto High School College Advisor Sandra Cernobori works at her desk in the College and Career center, answering questions about standardized tests.
Palo Alto High School College Advisor Sandra Cernobori works at her desk in the College and Career center, answering questions regarding standardized testing. After a delay in the release of PSAT scores earlier today, Paly administrators have been receiving many inquiries from many frustrated students and parents. Photo by Cooper Lou.

The Palo Alto High School administration is asking juniors to wait patiently for their Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test scores due to an overload of the College Board system in the past six hours.

“Initially, today, Jan 7., was slated as the date when students could log in and retrieve their PSAT scores,” Teacher Advisor Coordinator Ann Deggelman said. “However, right now, many Paly students are receiving error messages and are experiencing a very sluggish response time in the College Board system.”

According to Deggelman, administrators have tried logging onto the College Board website to see if they could obtain the school’s access code to share the scores with the juniors.

“Our attempts have been futile and we do not have access yet,” Deggelman said. “Everybody is trying to log on so we are probably causing a lot of stress to the site, so that’s why the students are probably getting those error messages.”

After the delay in the release of PSAT scores, the College bBoard has been receiving inquiries from many frustrated students. Emails containing an access code will be sent out in the next 36 hours. Screenshot by Daniel Li.
Due to an overload of the College Board system, the College Board has been bombarded with questions from many students. Emails containing an access code will be sent out in the next 36 hours. Screenshot by Daniel Li.

According to the College Board’s Twitter account, emails with access codes will be sent out to students in the next 36 hours. Students can also contact PSAT services at 866-433-7728 to retrieve their access codes.

However, students should still be able to access their PSAT scores without any access codes by logging into an already existing College Board account and clicking “add scores” and then “verify personal info now,” according to College advisor Sandra Cernobori.

“All we know is that College Board is very aware of the issue and is actively trying to troubleshoot problems,” Deggelman said. “We are trying keep the juniors abreast of everything by posting on Naviance.”

Many Paly students expressed frustration about the delay in the release of PSAT scores.

“It is aggravating that some students have been getting their scores right away while other students have not,” junior Michelle Leong said. “Hopefully, the College Board will clear up this issue within the next couple of days.”