Preview: ASB debuts Spring Sports Festival

Teams compete against each other during the intramural volleyball tournament on the quad at lunch. Photo courtesy of Palo Alto High School Associated Student Body.

The Palo Alto High School Associated Student Body will conduct the first Viking Best of the Best spring sports festival next week.

According to senior ASB Sports Commissioner and event organizer Livi Musil, the event is a way for all students to participate in intramural sports.

The event is a way for ASB to uphold the tradition of sporting events in the spring after Powderpuff football was discontinued.

“Like Powderpuff, it [Viking Best of the Best]  includes football but also includes relays, ultimate frisbee and volleyball,” Sophomore Class Vice President Anmol Nagar said.

Students can sign up in teams of 10. Every team must include at least one person from each grade and at least four people from each gender.

“Each team will compete in a volleyball game, ultimate frisbee game, flag football game and a relay,” Musil said.

According to Musil, students not participating in the events will be able to watch at the soccer field, lacrosse field or the Quad depending on the teams that they are interested in seeing.

“I’m most excited to see Paly’s athletes show us what they’ve got when playing a different sport than they usually do,” Musil said.

According to Nagar, ASB is hoping to continue the theme of inclusion and activities for everyone through this year’s spring sports festival.

“Movie night, the volleyball tournament, Paly Hogwarts Week and our newest addition of spring sports fest are all part of our effort to put on fantastic events that appeal to the greater Paly community,” Nagar said.