Students to give back on Service Day

For the fourth day of Palo Alto High School’s Not In Our Schools Week, students are invited to give back to the community both on- and off-campus tomorrow by participating in the sixth annual Service Day.

With over 300 students signed up for volunteer projects at local organizations and a host of booths and activities available on the Paly Quad at lunch, this year’s Service Day is set to be bigger than ever, according to sophomore and Service Day planner Candace Wang. Each year, the event attracts more and more participants, and there are more volunteer organizations present than ever before.

Students who have not already signed up to volunteer at off-campus organizations are instead encouraged to participate in the available on-campus activities during lunch. Clubs and organizations will be on campus raising awareness for their respective causes and providing volunteer opportunities to students. No sign-ups are required, and free pizza will be served to those who participate in two or more activities.

“It is our hope that the students who participate in Service Day are able to find new ways to express their passions, find new ways to be involved and engaged in their communities, and find places where they can try new things,” Wang said. “Volunteering is a great way to get a feel for different career paths without heavy commitment for sacrifices.”

Organizing this event took a large number of people, and Wang is grateful for the support and efforts of everyone involved.

“This year, it was an incredible team effort,” Wang said. “More people have chipped in than ever before. YCS did an incredible job of organizing all 23 of the off-campus sites, and Key Club is putting all the effort humanly possible to create the best on-campus selection of clubs and organizations. We also have to thank the parents and, of course, [community service and career adviser] Ms. [Christina] Owen for making everything else possible.”

After months of hard work, the Service Day planning committee looks forward to the event.

“This is a huge milestone for all of us,” Wang said. “I can’t wait to see how the day turns out.”