Vike Profile: Varsity soccer player turned telenovela star

Amy Yu, Editor-in-Chief

aaron diaz
Photo: The Campanile

From actor to model, Aaron Diaz wears many hats. The Palo Alto High School alumnus, from the Class of 2001 began, dabbling in stardom in high school.

According to The Campanile, Diaz moved to Palo Alto from Vallarta, Mexico during his sophomore year. During his time at Paly, he played varsity soccer, modeled with an agency in San Francisco and played drums in “Aarones y Los Huevones,” which he started with his cousins.

After graduating, Diaz returned to Mexico and attended an exclusive acting school, Centro de Educación Artística, run by one of Mexico’s largest media producers, Televisa.

In 2003, Diaz had his acting debut in the telenovela, “Clase 406,” as the male protagonist, Kike González. According to the Internet Movie Database, “Clase 406” broke records by airing uninterrupted for 19 months.

Diaz also sings and released his debut album “Enamórate de mí” in 2009. Following the success of his album, he released his second album titled “Aaron Diaz” in 2011.

As a result of Diaz’s modeling experience in high school, he released a 2011 calendar for his fans with original pictures of himself in 2010. Later in 2011, Diaz released another calendar for 2012.

Diaz also was nominated for his role on a more popular telenovela, “Santa Diabla,” as the lead male protagonist, Santiago Cano. Premios People en Español nominated him for Best Male Lead in 2013. In 2014, he was nominated for Favorite Lead Actor by Premios Tu Mundo.

Diaz has also appeared on American television. He played León Velez, in “Quantico” an American television series and quickly became a fan favorite. When “Quantico” was cancelled after its third season, Diaz signed on to the American telenovela “Betty en NY” as the main antagonist, Ricardo Calderón.

According to an interview with Forbes, Diaz will always return to telenovelas.

“I will never abandon this audience that supported me,” Diaz said, in the interview. “I can’t go away [to the general market], disappear and never come back. So even when I take on projects like ‘Quantico,’ I’ll always come back to my core audience.”

Diaz’s latest show, “Betty en NY,” airs on Telemundo every Friday at 9 p.m.