Sushirrito is sushi-rrific

Alex Merkle-Raymond, Author

Sushiritto opened up on Saturday in downtown Palo Alto. There are multiple Sushiritto places in San Francisco but this is the first one in Palo Alto. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond.

Sushirrito opened up last Saturday in downtown Palo Alto. There are multiple Sushirrito places in San Francisco, but this is the first one in Palo Alto. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond.

Sushirrito opened at 448 University Ave. on Saturday, Jan. 17, providing Palo Altans with a combination of two beloved foods: burritos and sushi.

A sushi burrito consists of a large roll of sushi wrapped in paper and eaten just like a burrito. The goal of Sushirrito is to blend “the premium flavors and healthiness of sushi with the form factor and convenience of burritos,” according to its website.

The store is set up with the order station towards the back of the restaurant. The counter looks similar to Chipotle with little buckets off toppings, but few substitutions are allowed. The sushi is made to order and is prepared quickly, right in front of you.

The rolls are generous and packed with Asian-inspired ingredients like lotus chips, red tobiko, wasabi dust and tempura flakes. The rolls vary in price from $9 to $13 depending on the ingredients used.

The roll is much larger than the average restaurant roll sushi but is still relatively expensive for just one food item. The vegetarian rolls ($9) seem like a better deal than some of the more extravagant options.

The Geisha's Kiss ($12) is the most popular sushi roll on the menu. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond

The Geisha’s Kiss ($12) is the most popular sushi roll on the menu. It features yellowfin tuna, lotus chips, tamago and avocado. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond

Sushi burritos seem like a trendy food. Food trends come in waves, like the C.R.E.A.M obsession, and Sushirrito seems to have found the ideal fad location, just two stores down from C.R.E.A.M.. Maybe this delicious, fresh roll will stay in Palo Alto longer than other trendy food stores.

With Sushirrito in the heart of downtown and an easy to-go meal, students are very excited about its arrival.

“I would say it’s quite delicious,” senior Daryl Dillahunty said. “It’s definitely more filling than just getting a normal roll of sushi. I felt like everything tasted really fresh and good and it’s pretty fast service. Overall a wonderful establishment.”

Sushirrito is open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day.