Feast on Madrigal festivities

Ido Gal and Alex Merkle-Raymond

Senior Will Kast and Jamie Garcia rehearse with other choir students juniors Chris Crews-Holloway, Ryan Jamison and other girl. This year the speaking parts in the performance will be shared with members of concert choir not just the advanced vocal groups. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond

Seniors Will Kast and Jamie Garcia rehearse with other choir students juniors Chris Crews-Holloway, Ryan Jamison and sophomore Anisha Patwardhan. This year the speaking parts in the performance will be shared with members of concert choir not just the advanced vocal groups. Photo by Alex Merkle-Raymond

The Palo Alto High School Choir Department will host its annual Madrigal Feaste Concert this Saturday and Sunday at 2 p.m. in the Paly Small Gym.

The Madrigal Feaste will be two hours of choral music from all of Paly’s choir groups, witty lines from the themed script and a luncheon served by “peasants” or freshmen singers.

“Madrigal Feaste is very different from other concerts because everyone dresses up in Madrigal attire and there’s a show that goes along with it that has a story line,” junior and Madrigal singer Abira Berezin said. “[The script] always has to do with King Henry and his wives.”

This year’s script was written by Paly alumna Grace Barry, a former choir student and current New York University attendee.

“We have a new script by an alum by the name of Grace Berry, who’s an NYU student,” choir director Michael Najar said. “It’s funny, fantastic and hysterical.”

Senior choir student William Kast also admires the new script.

“The script is probably the best script we’ve had yet,” Kast said. “Grace Barry is a genius, you’ll just need to take my word for it. Her script still has the entire class laughing at each joke every time the cast reads it.”

Both Najar and Kast encourage Paly students to attend.

“For the cost of $15 you get two hours of entertainment plus food, as well as getting to see your peers make great jokes,” Najar said. “They get to see the Paly gym totally transformed into a different place. I dare any Paly student to walk in there and still believe their in the Small Gym after they walk in to we call ‘West Minster West.’”

“There’s going to be food, plenty of laughs and, of course, lots of great music all for the price of a movie ticket,” Kast said. “Plus, everyone who enters is greeted by an enthusiastic huzzah, which definitely doesn’t happen at the movies.”

The price of admission is $15 for normal seating, $50 for Nobility seating and $90 for Kings seating. The pricing depends on how close the table is to the stage. Tickets are sold here.